Wednesday, January 21, 2009

It Starts Now

I'm sorry, but I had to steal this idea from Miss Teacher's blog, because it's just so perfect:


Former President Bush was inaugurated when I was only 17 and was just barely getting into the whole political awareness thing. My senior class vehemently argued over the candidates and the recount and everything that went on that year even though none of us really had any clue what we were talking about. Then September 11 happened and suddenly Pres. Bush was a hero. (huh?)

The last 8 years, my entire grown-up lifetime, I have been part of the minority. My government has made me feel like I should be ashamed to believe the things I believe. Somehow I was "unpatriotic" because I don't think an idiotic combination of war with some countries and isolation against others was a legitimate foreign policy. Somehow I was labeled as "unsympathetic to our troops" because I vote for peace. Somehow I became "morally wicked" because I identify myself as a liberal. Somehow "liberal" became a dirty word. I've felt frustrated and angry and misunderstood and demoralized. My beliefs were wrong and my opinions were futile. I watched in utter amazement as the President of my country - someone who is supposed to represent me and my fellow citezens - ruined our reputation worldwide, botched the English grammar I work so hard to convince my students matters, smirked when talking about body counts and refused to admit he had made so much as one mistake. And then I watched in awe as my fellow Americans inexplicably elected him again.

2009 is the new beginning I've been waiting for in many ways. After the December 2007 death of my dad (and the most important man in my life) 2008 was a year of adjustment and refocusing priorities. The first six months were all about loss and unwanted change, the second six months felt more hopeful. 2009 is a year of deciding what I really want in life and taking action to pursue those goals. I feel inspired now. I feel my country is finally on the same page as I am (besides the outrageous passage of Prop 8 in California, but that's another discussion). It's like the air shifted. Things changed around and within me. It's like my life will forever be separated by 2 dates - the day my dad died and the day my country elected a man of vision and hope. The time in between felt bleak in many ways. The time after (my trip to Argentina with Habitat, my new inspiration and courage to make Big Moves in my life) is new and exciting.

Now, when the President is on TV, I won't feel the need to change the channel to avoid nausea. Because he inspires me to do more. President Obama. From the first time I heard him speak I knew I would follow him for as long it took for him to become president. I am thrilled I didn't have to wait long. I have hope. I know the situation we're in as a nation is a perilous one. Nothing in the next few years is going to be easy and it will all take faith and patience. But I believe. This is a person who stands for the things I believe in. Diplomacy, conservation, integrity, responsibility, family, volunteerism, critical thinking, ... Will it be easier to teach my students to value those things when there are good role models on TV?

No comments:

Post a Comment