Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Book Review: The Lifeboat

Two weeks, three books, and one 6-day trip to New York and Connecticut under my belt (food-filled blog post about that is forthcoming). I thought I'd do more reading on the flights to and from JFK, but alas, I like to sleep on planes. I did finish book #3, though: The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan.




The Basics via Amazon:
Grace Winter, 22, is both a newlywed and a widow. She is also on trial for her life.

In the summer of 1914, the elegant ocean liner carrying Grace and her husband Henry across the Atlantic suffers a mysterious explosion. Setting aside his own safety, Henry secures Grace a place in a lifeboat, which the survivors quickly realize has exceeded capacity. For any to live, some must die.

As the castaways battle the elements and each other, Grace recollects the unorthodox way she and Henry met, and the new life of privilege she thought she'd found. Will she pay any price to keep it?

THE LIFEBOAT is a page-turning novel of hard choices and survival, narrated by a woman as unforgettable and complex as the events she describes.


Why I picked it up:
Whenever I teach Lord of the Flies, I start with an activity called "Who Should Survive" that mirrors this novel's opening plot. I thought it would be interesting to see that activity played out long-form. I also thought it might be a little bit Titanic and a little bit Life of Pi, which was intriguing.

If my Nook version had had this hardback cover, 
I probably would've gravitated toward it faster. 
This is my kind of cover.

What I did know beforehand:
The reviews I read before choosing this book made two points that I now agree were valid: a) there are a lot of characters at the beginning and it can be hard to keep them straight; b) the novel may have been more interesting if it had been told as a multi-perspective piece including more than one of the survivors. (I was reading this purely for pleasure, so I combatted the first problem by simply glossing over most of the names and not trying too hard to remember exactly who was who. Worked for me.)


Why I recommend it:
It's quick and easy but still intriguing. The vocabulary level is good enough to include in one of my PSAT reading camps, but I don't think the storyline is complex enough to stand up to literary scrutiny. It's mostly for recreational readers who don't want traditional beach lit. This novel is set in 1914 and isn't some flighty love story. There is a philosophical element to it because you're forced to ask if you might do the same as Grace given the circumstances (my answer is a resounding NO). It's a fun read that I will probably forget most of 3 months from now.

It's also (of course) in pre-production for a movie. I'm kind of sick of this theme right now, actually, even though I love that books are being adapted into movies. I think it's kind of the lazy road for everyone - movie makers don't have to come up with their own stories and audiences get just the gist of a novel from seeing the movie but then think they don't need to actually read the book. Lame. Anyway, this one is possibly going to star Anne Hathaway. I like Anne Hathaway, so I really hope that if this movie gets made they do some movie magic to beef up the main character and give her something to really DO with it. I don't see this being a particularly exciting movie otherwise.

Who should read it:
- People who liked Titanic
- People who like a quick read but are sick of reading about romantic relationships or crime dramas
- People who liked Life of Pi (the movie version)
- Students who loved the "Who Should Survive" activity (which a lot of you did)

What the pros say:
New York Times Sunday Book Review

"An enthralling story of survival at sea.... One hell of a debut." (Jonathan Raban, New York Review of Books)

"An eerie, powerful debut you'll want to race through, but try to resist the urge. A slower read reveals a psychological depth that'll leave you thinking." (Helen Rogan, People)

A beautifully constructed first novel.... Rogan crafts a harrowing, suspenseful take of survival.... The Lifeboat raises forever fascinating questions without moral posturing or sentimentality. (Jocelyn McClurg, USA Today)

"In her assured debut, Rogan has written a layered and provocative tale of survival and impossible decisions. But her biggest achievement is the disarmingly demure yet fiercely shrewd Grace, a narrator as fascinating and unreliable as they come."―Stephan Lee, Entertainment Weekly

"Rogan manages to distill this drama about what's right and wrong when the answer means life or death into a gripping, confident first novel...Other novels have examined the conscience and guilt of a survivor among the dead, but few tales are as thoughtful and compelling as this."―Christina Ianzito, Washington Post

1 comment:

  1. Nice review, Sarah - I may put this one on my Kindle list as a fun summer read.

    ReplyDelete