Friday, February 27, 2009

Reminders

I spent today subbing 6th grade math/science at a school I spent 2 days in last month. By a stroke of luck one of my blocks was the exact group of kids I had last month and it's always fun to have students you recognize (one of the luxuries not usually associated with substituting). The crazy part was that when these students saw me in the hallway they all cried, "Hi Ms. Cocita!" and were really excited to see me. I had them for a cumulative total of about 3 hours more than 4 weeks ago. But they remembered my name. And they were happy to see me. Wow. How little it takes to remind me why I do what I do.

A couple weeks ago I ran into 3 former students all in the same night. The same thing. Of course I expect these students to remember me, but it always fills me with warmth and fulfillment I can't totally explain to hear a student say, "We really miss you!" or "We talk about you all the time." or "You were my favorite teacher." And that's what happens when I run into students at the grocery store or outside Barnes & Noble. This is why I do what I do.

In case I needed any more reminders, I rediscovered this article from Oprah magazine that brought me to balling tears the first time I read it. I am a teacher. I change lives. This is how I know: To Sir, With Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment