Sunday, July 5, 2009

Road Trippin'

Way back in December Mom and I decided that we'd like to make a real vacation out of visiting family in Folsom and the Bay Area. Normally we do this trip in record time, only staying in town long enough to attend some family event - a birthday, baby shower, graduation, etc. The whole thing usually lasts about 48 hours. This time we wanted the freedom (and time) to visit all the people and do all the things that aren't always possible when we're depending on someone else's car. A road trip was the answer. Here is the result:

Thursday night - Saturday morning
Time with the Claneys and Allbaughs.
I usually see my cousins Anita and Laura about once every 5 years. I probably see their children even less. But back in December (during one of our regular under-48-hour trips up and back), Mom and I stayed at Anita's house and were thrilled to find that we'd actually made NEW friends within our own family. We had such a great time that we specifically planned our road trip to accommodate 2 nights with these 2 families.

Saturday
Years ago when my dad was doing work in the Bay Area he found Walnut Creek and a fantastic restaurant called Va de Vi. He introduced my mom, then me, then several of our friends and family members. Even though our family lives within a reasonable dista
nce (40 mins), they don't usually want to make the trek out just for dinner. Mom and I tend to disagree. Food as entertainment is a staple in my upbringing and a good restaurant is always worth a little travel. Mom and I left Folsom on Saturday and headed for Walnut Creek specifically to eat dinner at Va de Vi. The problem: it was 105 degrees out and we had several hours to kill before dinner time. The solution: a movie theatre!
SO WORTH IT!

Sunday morning
Brunch with friends from Habitat
Kate and Alisa live just one city over from my aunts and uncles but I've made 2 trips up to the area since our Habitat trip to Argentina and had yet to visit them because I never had a car to get away. Our visit was short but it was so nice to catch up with people from such a positive time in my life.

Sunday afternoon
Meet the Babies Party
One of the main reasons we didn't take this trip earlier in the spring was because we wanted to wait for the arrival of not one, but two new additions to our clan. My cousin Michael and his wife Kris welcomed their first child in April and my cousin Joanna and her husband Brandon had their second in May. It was essential for us to meet the new babies and in honor of our visit my aunt and uncle planned a special Meet the Babies party for everyone to follow our lead.
Hayden Robert (or HayBob, much to his mother's chagrin) - born April 11

Kevin Thomas (who big sister Megan calls "Baby Kevin"
in her little chipmunk voice - so cute!) - born May 8

Monday
Michelle in San Francisco
Michelle and I have been friends for nearly 10 years now, but I haven't so much as talked to her on the phone in more than 3. She just moved up to Oakland and started working in the city in December, so a visit was absolutely a must. Unfortunately I was stupid and forgot to get a picture. Next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment