Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Find

I recently discovered a website called Swaptree.com where people can trade their books, CDs, and DVDs that they don't want anymore for someone else's that they do. It's awesome and I'm pretty stoked to have a new outlet for the books I read once, years ago, that are now just taking up limited bookshelf space. Now I can send them to a new home where they will be loved and in return I get not the $0.05 I would get from selling such things on Amazon.com, but a book, CD, or DVD I actually want. Awesome. (If you haven't seen this site, get on it. I'm addicted now.)

So I was trolling for books in my closet and I found a book of poetry I haven't looked at for years. I thought, sure, I can trade this for something else. But just as I was putting in the book's info on Swaptree, I noticed a few post-it bookmarks. At the first one I found this poem:

Why Do I Love You?

I love you,
Not only for what you are,
But for what I am
When I am with you.

I love you,
Not only for what
You have made of yourself,
But for what
You are making of me.

I love you
For ignoring the possibilities
Of the fool in me
And for laying firm hold
Of the possibilities for good.

Why do I love you?

I love you
For closing your eyes
To the discords--
And for adding to the music in me
By worshipful listening.

I love you because you
Are helping me to make
Of the lumber of my life
Not a tavern
But a temple;
And out of the words
Of my every day
Not a reproach
But a song.

I love you
Because you have done
More than any creed
To make me happy.

You have done it
Without a word,
Without a touch,
Without a sign.
You have done it
Just by being yourself.

After all
Perhaps that is what
Love means.

--Roy Croft.

Well, then. Maybe I won't get rid of this book just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment