Sunday, October 27, 2013

London Chocolate Week

(Sunday, October 20)

While it has been fun to re-live our travel memories by writing this blog for the last month, I'm really excited to be just about caught up and ready to start posting the things we're doing here in London in real time. We have been here for nearly 7 weeks already and it's only now that I'm starting to feel like I have a grip on things.

London is a huge city and there are thousands of activities, fairs, festivals, events, and experiences to participate in every week. In order to make the most of this year, Joe and I have to know at least some of what's going on before it happens, which is a project enough on its own. I "liked" Time Out London, the Telegraph, BBC, several museums, and a bunch of other pages on Facebook so that updates and information would pop up on my newsfeed and I wouldn't always have to go searching it out. When we do take the tube (which is far more rare than the bus for us), I try to pay attention to the advertisements for what is happening in the city. It would be nearly impossible to know everything happening in this city that we'd be interested in at any given time. (For example, we missed the Harry Potter IMAX movie marathon at the British Film Institute that happened the first weekend after we moved in to our apartment. Lesson learned.)


Pouring rain during my walk to the overground train (replacement service for the tube)

I found out that October 14-20 were Chocolate Week in the UK just as the events were getting started and I knew I wanted to do something to participate. Since participants spanned the kingdom, I first had to find a deal nearby. I had nearly given it up due to expense and travel confusion when I found out about Salon du Chocolat's show at Olympia National Hall featuring dozens of delicious chocolatiers from all over the United Kingdom. Plus there was a fashion show of couture looks created entirely in chocolate! This I had to see!



I am not good at taking selfies...


chocolate sculpture!

my favorite of the chocolate fashions - those "feathers" are made from chocolate!



samples!

This goofball wanted to video chat with me while
I was wandering the event to show me her newly
missing tooth!
The event was kind of expensive and I did end up going alone, but I'm glad I didn't skip it. I am looking forward to more events I find on Time Out coming up soon!

2 comments:

  1. Wow -- the chocolate bark/bars look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I was glad we were able to FaceTime while you were actually at this event. It was the next best thing to being there. I missed out on the sampling though. :( ~ Mom

    ReplyDelete