Friday, December 27, 2013

The National Portrait Gallery: A Quick Review

One of the benefits of being a university student, not a high school teacher: I have a month off for winter break. One of the unfortunate factors of being a university student, not a high school teacher: I am to use this break to write a 20-page paper.

One of the benefits of being a university student in London: I get to do my research for said paper at the National Portrait Gallery. One of the unfortunate factors of being a university student in London: so far, I got nothing.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Last Thursday night, when our moms had boarded their plane on the way here and Joe was out with some friends, I headed down to Leicester Square on the tube to visit the National Portrait Gallery. I am writing a paper on the evolution of self-portraits into selfies (yup, for my master's in English), and many of the books I've been using for research were published by the gallery and its curators. I thought an in-person visit was in order (and would pass the plane-ride hours a bit easier).

I went to the gallery in search of self-portraits and to "have a wander," as the British would say. Instead, I was genuinely moved by the experience. I went on a Thursday evening when the gallery is open late (until 9 pm). The permanent exhibits are free, but the special exhibitions cost a few pounds. There were plenty of visitors about, but it didn't feel crowded at all. The gallery is small enough to manage in a couple hours, which is one of the reasons I liked it so much. (The same is not true for so many museums in London.)





Even though I came in looking for portraits that fulfilled a narrow definition, I turned the corner several times and had to catch my breath. Like when I found this:


Sorry for the blurry picture. 
Portraits of Shakespeare. And Mary Shelley. And Thomas Paine. And George Washington. And Jane Austen. I welled up (which was VERY unexpected). 



A detailed statue of Victoria & Albert
Anyone with a free evening or a couple hours to spare, visit the National Portrait Gallery!

2 comments:

  1. Where is your selfie in the portrait gallery?

    :) Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this, Sarah. I haven't made it to the Portrait Gallery yet but you just convinced me.

    ReplyDelete